Experience and Services
Douglas E. Duckett, Esq.
Experience in Human Resources and Labor Relations
- Over 23 years as human resources director for Ohio’s eighth largest county and chief negotiator for 15 bargaining units. Currently work as a city human resources manager.
- Thirty years’ experience as a labor and employment lawyer.
- Nationally recognized trainer and speaker on human resources and labor relations topic.
- Served as President of both the National Public Employer Labor Relations Association and the Ohio Public Employer Labor Relations Association, NPELRA’s Ohio chapter.
- Frequent lecturer and trainer in NPELRA’s Labor Relations Academy, a national professional certification program in public-sector labor relations.
Legal Services for Public and Private-Sector Employers: (click to view)
- Collective bargaining for public-sector employers.
- Investigations of possible employee misconduct or discrimination issues.
- Serving as hearing officer in pre-disciplinary hearings or grievance hearings.
- Advising on disciplinary cases, including civil-service appeals and arbitrations.
- Mediation services.
- Representing employers in grievances and arbitrations and civil-service appeals.
Training for your Managers, Supervisors, and Employees: (click to view)
- Dealing with problem and dysfunctional employees. I have spoken on this topic in nine states and NPELRA’s Annual Training Conference.
- Effective and defensible discipline of employees under civil service law and union contacts.
- Collective bargaining strategies and planning.
- Preparing for possible unionization drives.
- Sexual harassment prevention — both for managers and supervisors and for line-level employees.
- Other topics in public-sector human resources and labor relations.